I had a lot of random thoughts on the walk home from work today and instead of making each one into a separate blog, I decided to post them all here – kinda like mini-blogs! I wonder if they’ll be as good as mini-Cinnabons. Umm…maybe not because the cream on Cinnabons is too much to compete with. I can’t handle that kind of competition. But these morsels are still good food for thought.
1) The Right of Way. I haven’t ever thought much about sidewalk walking habits. Have you? Where I come from we mostly walk on the right side of the sidewalk. I don’t know where this idea comes from. I once read that it had something to do with British history and passing a gentleman on the sidewalk…related to the different society levels…something akin to that. But of course now that I need the article, I can’t find it. Point being – in Korea this sidewalk etiquette does not apply. I’m not going to get into which culture is more logical when it comes to this (been fighting cultural differences in logic all day at work), but I will say that I’ve been here over a year and my body has still not adjusted to this difference. Someone comes at me walking in the opposite direction and I automatically move to the right and expect them to do the same so that we can pass each other without breaking a step, but noooooo, more than 50% of the people still manage to get in my way. Then there are the weavers. Drunk, old, texting or just plain stroll-challenged. You go to pass them in a narrow area and they veer to the right. You try again and they veer to the left. Egads. Dude, the quickest way to a destination is in a straight line, so follow it!
2) Fall. Ok, on to less GRRR-ness. I LOVE FALL IN KOREA. Well, to be more clear, I LOVE FALL EVERYWHERE. Butttt for all intents and purposes, I shall narrow it down to here. Pretty simple actually. The weather is great. It’s cool enough for cute hats and scarves to make me feel all Mary Tyler Moore and ish, but not cold enough to need a bulky jacket. Plus, there are these dark barked trees here with REALLY yellow leaves on them. The contrast is stunning against a daytime AND nighttime sky. Maybe I’ll actually remember to charge my camera battery this weekend so I can get a pic for it. It makes me want to lay down on the sidewalk and just stare up at the leaves for a few hours. I assure you though that I do resist that urge – not because people would think I was crazy, but because people here spit all over the sidewalk and I am not about to lay anything more than the bottom of my shoe on Seoul’s sidewalks. The sidewalks in Salt Lake? Yeah, I’d lay on those. (Did you notice? I love fall SO much I capitalized like 10 words in that tiny paragraph.)
3) That Girl. Do I talk too much? Sometimes I wonder if I do. I wonder if I’m ‘that girl.’ The one that people see coming and want to turn in the other direction for fear of finding themselves in the throws of a lengthy conversation. The one that everyone knows talks too much but she just doesn’t realize it? Maybe I’m just being paranoid. But didn’t you ever wonder – of all the people and personalities you bitch about to your friends – which one of those people categories you fall into? In my defense, I have a lot of thoughts running around in my head and they need an outlet and since I don’t exactly have a boyfriend or a cat at home to ramble to, you all are stuck with the brunt of it. 😛 Hehe
Looking back at the number of words in this post, I think I may have just answered my own question about talking too much. Oops. I try to keep the conversations balanced in person, I just hope others realize that.
4) I reealllyyy miss salads. A lot. A whole bunch of lotta lot. So next time you westerners eat a salad, think of me and have another bite on my behalf. Mmm…Sweet Tomatoes.
5) Crushes. I could do an entire blog and a half on different types of crushes and maybe I will someday, but in brief…for those out there who have a crush on someone, or more than one someone, here’s a tip on how to see how serious you are about that person. Tip #721 – Make yourself uber-busy. Then, see who you still find yourself thinking about when you barely have time for sleep or a decent meal. I realized today that I hadn’t thought all week about a minor crush I had on someone, which means that I probably had the minor crush on him because I was bored, not because I really saw it going somewhere. But the one I have thought about? That’d be the one that I really think I should be with. The one who has been on my mind for a loooonnnnggg time. It just took me having less time to think to, well, think it all out.
So yes, these are all the things that I thought of in the 30 minute walk home. Actually there were more things than that, much more than that runs through my mind all the time, but these are just a few.
¡May you all have happy weekends!